Friday, December 17, 2010

Object lessons from a temper tantrum

My sweet daughter, Elly, who usually looks like this......has much more often been looking like this lately...The other night, she was set on shutting the door to our tv cabinet, though Andy was watching it. Elly knew that she was doing something that she wasn't supposed to, so Andy calmly placed his foot in such a way that she could not shut the door. She grunted, yelled, cried, pushed...it didn't matter what she did because her dad, who was calmly and lovingly looking at her, is much stronger than she is. I watched this scene play out and saw how red and angry my daughter's face became, and I began to wonder if that is what I look like to my Father sometimes. He calmly and lovingly puts a stop to my plans because His are better. I sometimes grunt, complain, yell, and get red in the face wanting my way rather than trusting in the Giver of all good gifts. I want MY timing, MY way, MY dreams...believing that I know best...forgetting that God works all things together for His glory and my good. If the waiting in this adoption has taught me anything, it is that I am forced to wait on God's time and not mine....on His plans and not mine. I have no control over when our son comes home, whether we receive a referral for a second boy, when we pass court, when we travel, what our adjustment looks like, and on, and on, and on. I may kick and scream and turn red in the face, but He is the one actually in control...and I really hope that my face (and Elly's) look a lot more like that first picture than the second!





No comments:

Post a Comment