Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Consistency

In Exodus, the Pharaoh just wouldn't let the Egyptians go. As with all poor decisions...there are consequences. In this case, the Egyptians experienced the ten plagues. The last one finally broke the Pharaoh's strong will and he released the Jews (only to start chasing after them shortly thereafter). In Exodus 9, before one of the plagues was delivered, Moses writes, "The LORD set a time and said, "Tomorrow the LORD will do this in the land. And the next day the LORD did it." While this isn't terribly profound, I was struck with how God is consistent to His word. He said it would happen, and it did.

This verse has come to mind today as I am dealing with consistency parenting my daughter. After a wonderful week of visiting grandparents in Texas, Andy and I made the decision to take the pacifier away except for sleeping and in the car. Therefore, my last 3 days have consisted of hearing the word "Paci" at a minimum of 300 x per day. On top of that, she is feeling under the weather. Oh how that paci would make my days easier! ha But in the long run, I don't want her to have it all the time, we gave our word, and we want to stick by it.

While this is a teeny tiny issue to deal with in parenting, I am so thankful for the Lord setting the example of consistency before me. I am weak, inconsistent, and selfish by nature and don't have a chance without the grace of God daily. Praise Him for setting the example but going much farther by walking beside us and slowly but surely taking our weak, inconsistent selves and molding us into the image of Christ!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Abby. I always say (sigh) that the as a mom, the one thing I was consistent at was being inconsistent.

    ReplyDelete