Friday, April 1, 2011

Shout Out to Sara Groves

So I've been mulling over lots of things lately and asking lots of questions...Why is our adoption process taking twice as long as we were told? Why would God allow our son to stay these 3 extra months when he's been ill and likely will be again? Is He smiting me for something? Does Elly need more one-on-one time before the twins arrive? Is there a better plan than the one I'd concocted (which totally hasn't happened b/c our son would already be home by now)...or better timing? And on and on and on...

And then I thought back to a song I once heard. A dear friend was going through a horribly painful time in her life. The pain was severe and it was inflicted by the man who had promised at the altar to always be faithful to her...and he wasn't, in fact, he left. And I remember her playing this song, which had comforted her, about her ever-faithful God. It is a song by Sara Groves entitled, "He's Always Been Faithful to Me."

Great is thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me

Morning by morning I wake up to find
The power and comfort of God’s hand in mine
Season by season I watch Him, amazed
In awe of the mystery of His perfect ways
All I have need of, His hand will provide
He’s always been faithful to me.

I can’t remember a trial or a pain
He did not recycle to bring me gain
I can’t remember one single regret
In serving God only, and trusting His hand
All I have need of, His hand will provide
He’s always been faithful to me.

This is my anthem, this is my song
The theme of the stories I’ve heard for so long
God has been faithful, He will be again
His loving compassion, it knows no end
All I have need of, His hand will provide
He’s always been faithful, He’s always been faithful
He’s always been faithful to me.


These lyrics apply to my life as well. As I question if God is punishing me by not giving me what I want...I have to look back to the past. His ways truly are good. He has given me more than I could have asked for or even imagined. He has never deserted me. He has sustained me in trials. He has brought healing to pain. And none of these things have I deserved. It is all grace. He has blessed us in abundance (literally...with 3 kids under 2), and ultimately He knows better. He has always been faithful...and always will. And even when I think about bringing our babies home and get caught up in the fear of how I will survive the days, these lyrics remind, "All I have need of, His hand will provide..." and I know He will.

Be encouraged, as I have, to look backwards in times of discouragement. Reminders of God's faithfulness in the past give us courage to walk by faith in the present.

1 comment:

  1. This post was powerful, Abby... and so very true. I remember all too well those days. Thanks for reminding me of His faithfulness in all of our lives.

    ReplyDelete