Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Random Reflections

There are several things that have gotten my mind stirring or have encouraged me thus far in 2011 and none are probably worthy of their own post, so I'm going to lump these things today.

1. In 2010 I read the book Radical by David Platt. As a conclusion to his book, which I think is a must read :), he gives something called the Radical Challenge. This challenge is multi-faceted and involves taking a year to: Read through the whole Bible, Pray for the entire world, Give more of your money away, Spend time in another context, and Commit to spend time in Christian community.

Our time will be spent in Africa, our more than usual giving will go towards our child/children in Africa, we are committed to and love our church....which leads reading through the whole Bible and praying for the whole world. And though I am usually less than faithful in year long commitments and surely have days that I blow it (and it's only the 19th ha!), it has been soooo good. I have loved loved loved praying for the world. I am using a resource called Operation World which outlines Answers to Prayers as well as Prayer Requests for the world, and there is a specific timeline. This link gives a short prayer request each day. Would you consider joining me? Is has been such a blessing to see how God is moving on a macro-scale in the world!

2. Article from Christianity Today: A Woman, "Not a Gestational Carrier"

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2011/01/08/couple-aborts-twin-boys-because-they-want-a-girl-using-ivf/

Interesting food for thought regarding the use of surrogates, outsourcing pregnancy (which I didn't even know was possible), and the bio-ethical issues springing up about choosing traits, gender, etc...of children.

3. I have been semi-losing my mind lately waiting for a phone call about the possibility of baby #2 and/or news about baby #1. I see videos like "Why Ethiopia" and I think "Why not 2?" and then I pray things like "Please give us another baby..." But the reality is, I have no clue if we'll get #2, if we could handle #2 or when we'll know about #2. Will you pray that I get through each day? (Yes, I know that sounds dramatic) And selfishly that we'll know soon?

No comments:

Post a Comment