Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Verses of Comfort for Weary Days

There is much to be thankful for. God has begun to pave a way for our babies to come home; however, there is much that must come together for this to be a reality. I have realized that I am completely at the mercy of God. I can do nothing to make their homecoming a reality. I can't speed it up, can't guarantee it'll happen...all I can do it wait and pray.

"Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess...Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." Hebrews 4:14,16

That is what I need now...mercy from on high and grace to endure.

This morning as I was praying, lots of questions ran through my mind. I KNOW exactly what I want to pray for. I want my husband to get on the plane for the time and date that we've booked him to go. For him to meet our kids, for all the paperwork to come together and for our family to be reunited by Elly's birthday (July 1). In a perfect world, where I called the stops, this would be my plan. That's not asking too much, right? (ha) BUT it is not a perfect world, and I am subject to a God that knows much better than me. So I wonder...do I pray for what I want? Do I allow myself to fully believe (with faith the size of a mustard seed Matthew 17:20) that God can move these mountains? I know that He can. But what if He doesn't? I will be heartbroken.

After praying and thinking about the mysterious marriage of prayer and the sovereign will of God, I read Ephesians 3, which is on our church Bible reading plan for today. It ended with these verses...

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21

So I am left in this scary place of asking God for mercy and for grace and for our children to come home, but ultimately I have to open my hands up and let Him lead. He is fully capable of doing more than I could even ask Him for right now. He may do a miracle in the next week or He may have us wait longer. He may place our children in our home or He may not. And in the end, I have to rest in the knowledge that He is working all things for our good and His glory. To Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment